Sunday, October 21, 2007

Diary of a Mad Grandma

I apologize for staying away so long. I have been so distracted for the last month that blogging just didn't get it's turn at the top of the list. Also, I have been a total grouch.

Here's an update, in a nutshell:

  1. Mom had surgery.
  2. Mom is fine, but feeling very sorry for herself, which of course DRIVES ME CRAZY.
  3. The house is falling apart. The water heater croaked, the kitchen plumbing died, the lawnmower is broken, the car is on empty, and Harold has fleas.
  4. A tree fell on our house last week after a nasty thunderstorm. Of course there wasn't enough damage to warrant the insurance company buying me a new roof. Just a big mess for me to clean up. Darn.
  5. I have plantar fasciitis, which makes me feel, and walk, like a very old woman.
Ava has had quite a month. She had a pH probe a few weeks ago, the results of which were very disappointing. It seems our Ava will be having a Nissen fundoplication on November 2, 2007, at the University of Michigan. I am all for anything that will improve her quality of life, but this particular surgery just scares me, especially the G-tube that comes with it. I am so afraid that all her hard work at feeding therapy will be lost. And I just cannot bear seeing Ava in pain.

To add insult to injury, I can't have time off work for Ava. You see, I will be in an Emergency Preparedness meeting November 2. I won't be available for Ava and her parents, because I must be trained and ready to respond to the needs of the PUBLIC. However, I was told that, "If you truly feel this is an emergency for YOU, then an exception COULD be made. But our HOPE is that you will attend the meeting." Yeah, right.

On a lighter note, our little girl walked! Oh, yes she did--all the way across the room! She toddles side to side, looking ever so much like little Clare. Mind you, she can't do it on her own. You have to stand her up and tell her to walk, but she does it. I am so proud of her!

10 comments:

Laura said...

Ava, and you all, will be in our thoughts and prayers.
It must be the month of October, I've a bit crankier than usual!
Way to go on the walking, YEAH, AVA!!!!!!!

Noel said...

Glad to hear she is walking around too!! Sorry that you can't be there for the surgery. That would make me cranky too.:( My niece has had the same surgery, she had it at 3 weeks old. The g-tube gets easier once you get used to it...it makes feeding a breeze with little mess...it does make feeding by mouth an issue though...why do all that work when you know someone will feed you if your hungery...I will be praying that everything goes well!

Noel

Nancy said...

Oh SHEESH. I hate working for that very reason. Actually, it wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't been programmed to be such a nice, polite, responsible employee who drowns in guilt if I don't perform at work as expected. Oh wellll.

I am sorry to hear about all that is going on. Plantar fasciitis is NOT FUN. I hope that improves soon.

I will be keeping Ava and your whole family in my thoughts and prayers.

It's good to see you again. I missed you.

Tara said...

I will be keeping you in our prayers. I'm so glad to hear that she's walking!!! I will be checking your blog a lot that first week of November to see how she's doing.

Kerry said...

Geez... with all that's going on, WHY didn't you blog?!?!? So glad to hear what's up, even though some of it isn't fun. Yeah for Ava!!! Keep it up!! Take care of you too ~ we'll be thinking about you :)

Lisa said...

Nice walking super cool :)

Katie said...

Great news about the walking, bad news about the fleas and the tree.. and your feet, and the lawnmower...
Ok news about the G-tube, as you said - anything that improves her quality of life, you guys will be in my thoughts and prayers - and i say call it an "emergancy"!
take care,
xxoo

Teresa and Shawn said...

Hooray for walking!

I will be praying for Ava for her surgery and that her feeding continues to progress despite the tube.

Julie said...

Good job Ava!!

Heather said...

Yay Ava!! Glad to hear she is walking!
Sorry to hear about the g-tube. That is dissapointing. I guess whatever it takes though?
Sounds like you have had plenty of reasons to be grumpy. Hope November is a better month for you. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you all....